CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Well, today is Tuesday and that means back to work for me. I really love having three day weekends. More time to spend with the family, and there should be more time together to catch up housework and stuff. Most of the time the extra day doesn't go toward housework though. It is also sometimes hard to have a three day weekend. It seems that it makes it harder to go back to work. Kind of silly but how it works for me.

First off, I need to say "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" to Raysha. I hope that you have a really great day! Wish we could be there to celebrate your happy day, but know that we are thinking of you and that we love you and wish you a very happy day!!!

And now for Journal Jar Question #2.

Did you have any major illnesses or injuries as a child?

Well, the first one I don't remember, but I have been told the story many times. Leave it to my memory to not remember all of the little details though. I just remember the basic story.

When I was a baby, my mom woke up one night, and I was turning blue. I don't recall details about sickness, just that I woke up blue. Someone ran across the street to the neighbors house and got Brother Hunsaker. Him and my dad gave me a blessing after which I started breathing. The next day I broke out with the measles.

That was a very short story. When I pulled this question out, I thought "Now that will be an easy one". But maybe I need to go back to mom and dad and get some more details. It will make for a much better story.

The other story I was thinking of, I remember quite a bit more details.

The summer before my second grade year, our neighbors to the right of us were building a new house and they were using our water to mix their cement. There was a little boy who lived behind us named Bobby who I used to play with a bit. Brother Miller asked us to go and turn on the water, so Bobby and I decided that we would race. We ran as fast as we could, me in my big fat flip-flops, into the back yard where the hose lead. Someone had left the rake laying beside the sidewalk, and I found it. I say rake, but it wasn't a normal rake. It was a three pronged garden tool with a long handle like a rake. The prongs curved up similar to a rake, but this prongs were pretty thick and were really sharp.

I found that rake with my foot. I stepped on it and it went clear through my thick flip-flop, my foot, and there it was, poking out of the top of my foot.

Bobby reached the end of the hose first, and turned on the water. He turned to me to brag about winning, and he saw my situation. He began to cry and banged on our back door. He was screaming and crying pretty good. I was eerily calm. I remember asking him why he was crying since I was the one who was hurt.

Mom and Dad came outside and Dad pulled the rake out of my foot. That is when I began to cry. I don't remember much after that. I do know we went to the hospital in Holbrook and that they cleaned and bandaged my foot, but I don't remember details about it.

After the hospital, we went to some store there in Holbrook and I got to pick out a toy. I picked out a Apple Dumplin doll from the Strawberry Shortcake selection. I loved the little turtle that came with her.

I remember dad having to carry me around a lot. I also remember being laid up in bed, not able to go outside to play, and letting my little sisters take my "Baby Feels So Real" outside with them. That is the day that we discovered that if "Baby Feels So Real" is left outside in the sun all day, that the "Feels So Real" part of her will melt and run out of the little hole where the baby "pees". Not only was a broken and couldn't play, but now my dolly was broken and had to be thrown away.

During school my second grade year, I took my little toy turtle to school with me. The weather was bad, so we ended up having recess in the gym. I was playing with my turtle on the floor of the gym, when some kid ran by and stepped on him. Broken turtle too.

I didn't have good luck with toys. Somehow they always ended up broken or missing digits or something. ;)


6 comments:

Laurie said...

Hey Jodi,
I'm sorry about your "Baby Feels So Real" doll. You should make Suzi and Raysha get you a new one. :)
We got your package and it was great!!! We loved EVERYTHING. We have a thank you card that has been sitting on our desk waiting to be mailed but I keep forgetting to call and get your address.
Sorry. Would you mind emailing it to me.

Hope your job is going well.
Miss you tons!
Love you

Raysha said...

I do remember the baby feels so real incident and I also remember riding in the car with you after getting the Strawberry shortcake doll and not understanding why you got one and I didn't. Kids, huh? I'm so glad to see more posts!!! And thanks for the birthday shout out. It's funny, as I've been going through all of our stuff in the moving process, I found my journal jar and pulled all the papers out and read them. I need to get on the ball and write about them too.

Levi and Suzi said...

I totally had nothing to do with the Baby Feel So Real incident! If it happens that I really did, I blame it all on Raysha because I couldn't have been more than 1 or 2, totally not a blameable age! :) Anyway, I love reading your memories...keep 'em coming!

Jodilyn said...

You have a very good point there Suzi. In all the years that I have been upset about the "Baby Feel So Real incident" I never thought about the ages of the mean kids involved.

It was all Raysha's fault. I'm sure! :)

Raysha said...

Don't I have a say in this. I barely remember this AND I'm sure the only reason I remember is that I've been made to feel GUILTY ever since. Remember, I am only 2 years older than Suzi. I'm sure I should have been able to read the packaging when you got it and found out that "Baby Feels So Real" doesn't "feel so real" in the sun!!! That is, if I were a child prodigy who could read well at that age and had the amazing judgement of someone much older than me. I blame the company for making such a stupid doll that can't be taken out in the sun!!!

Kandice and Rob said...

Baby Feels So Real's entrails melted and ran out her pee hole?!? That's not traumatizing or anything...

So I finally made a blog & started looking for "long losts". A link of a link of a link led me to your blog. Yay!