CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 14, 2008

101 Things in 1001 Days Explanation and Rules

I actually created a version of this list back in September. I have made a bit of progress on a few of the goals and completed a few of them too. From today I am starting over. The already in progress and the completed ones will be restarted, even giving up soda for 30 days. That one was really hard for me to complete, but I did. I'm kind of sad I have to do that one again.

The reason for the change is that I was doing some looking around at other people’s lists, as well as reading about research that people have done as to what goals are most attainable, and I realized that I had way too many goals on the original list that required more than a little bit of money. I need to work more on saving money than I do on spending money, so I have revised my list.

I tried to get rid of as many of the “money” goals as I could. There were a few that I just had to keep, such as a fun trip for our family. At the end of the list are a few goals that I am aware would take money to complete. At this time I have not found a suitable replacement for those goals. I would love to be able to complete those goals if we have the money, so for now they will reside at the end of the list. I reserve the right to change those higher money goals, for other goals that I find through the course of my experience.

Day Zero is the place that started it all. They have links to a lot of different people's lists. I found quite a few ideas from the lists of others, and just enjoy looking at others goals.

Here are the rules and at the end, my little gift to myself for finishing the list.

Day Zero is the place that started it all.

The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific with a result that is either measurable of clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (represent some amount of work on your part).

Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past - frequently simple goals such as New Year's resolutions. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips or outdoor activities.

Some common goal setting tips:
1. Be decisive. Know exactly what you want, why you want it, and how you plan to achieve it.
2. Stay Focused. Any goal requires sustained focus from beginning to end. Constantly evaluate your progress.
3. Welcome Failure. Frequently, very little is learned from a venture that did not experience failure in some form. Failure presents the opportunity to learn and makes the success more worthy.
4. Write down your goals. It clarifies your thinking and reinforces your commitment.
5. Keep your goals in sight. Review them frequently, and ensure that they are always at the forefront of your thinking.

Start Date: July 14th, 2008
End Date: April 11th, 2011

I have decided that for each item I complete, I will give myself $5 to spend on something nice for me and $5 to John Jay and Rich for their Christmas Wish program. If that is not available, I will pick another excellent program to donate the money to. For each item I do not complete, Christmas Wish will receive the $5, but no money for me.

My list will be posted in the next entry.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jodi, I stumbled across your blog, I've always wondered how you and Gus were doing. Those were some fun times at Good old EAC. I don't have a blog set up yet, but if you want to e-mail me, maybe we can do some catching up!
Rachel Isaacson Winters
crgarwinters@yahoo.com

Diana said...

That is quite the list! I wish you luck with all your goals!

Kandice and Rob said...

Holy cow, good for you for even considering doing all this!! I think making the list itself is pretty ambitious. You'll do great!